[yt-dev] Updating get_yt.sh, a question about defaults

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:08:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Andrew Myers <atmyers2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A nice thing about installing from source, even for people who don't
> intend to do a bunch of development themselves, is that it makes it easier
> to get bugfix patches quickly. When people build from source, we can just
> say, "to get this fix into your yt, do so-and-so and re-run develop".
> Having nightly conda builds mitigates this concern somewhat, but that's
> still more latency, and it also makes it harder to point people to
> not-yet-accepted PRs to try out, as well.

One mitigation here is that we're trying to have bugfix releases out in a
more timely fashion, which includes conda packages that users will get via
this script. Speaking of, I need to do a release this week....

At the same time, users can pretty easily get source installs using
get_yt.sh, they just need to change one line in the script. I could make a
much louder comment about that to the user as well.

I just think responding to a user saying "I want to install yt, let's try
running this script" with "no! you must install xcode first" is not very
friendly.