[yt-dev] Issue #1138: Cannot install yt (yt_analysis/yt)

Erik Schnetter issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Sat Oct 24 13:59:47 PDT 2015

New issue 1138: Cannot install yt
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1138/cannot-install-yt

Erik Schnetter:

I am trying to install yt onto OS X El Capitan. First I tried MacPorts, but this didn't work because of a problem with py27-h5py (I filed a MacPorts bug report for this).

I then tried installing yt via pip; this apparently worked, but when I try to use it, there is an error:
```
$ python
Python 2.7.10 (default, Oct  1 2015, 12:52:17)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.0.0 (clang-700.0.72)] on darwin
>>> import yt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Users/eschnett/src/yt/yt/__init__.py", line 116, in <module>
    from yt.data_objects.api import \
  File "/Users/eschnett/src/yt/yt/data_objects/api.py", line 22, in <module>
    from .static_output import \
  File "/Users/eschnett/src/yt/yt/data_objects/static_output.py", line 54, in <module>
    from yt.geometry.spherical_coordinates import \
  File "/Users/eschnett/src/yt/yt/geometry/spherical_coordinates.py", line 23, in <module>
    from yt.utilities.lib.misc_utilities import \
ImportError: cannot import name pixelize_aitoff
```

Next I tried installing it via `install_script.sh`:

```
env HDF5_DIR=/opt/local bash install_script.sh

Hi there!  This is the yt installation script.  We're going to download
some stuff and install it to create a self-contained, isolated
environment for yt to run within.

Inside the installation script you can set a few variables.  Here's what
they're currently set to -- you can hit Ctrl-C and edit the values in
the script if you aren't such a fan.

INST_ZLIB       = 1 so I will  be installing zlib
INST_BZLIB      = 1 so I will  be installing bzlib
INST_PNG        = 1 so I will  be installing libpng
INST_FTYPE      = 1 so I will  be installing freetype2
INST_SQLITE3    = 1 so I will  be installing SQLite3
INST_PY3        = 0 so I won't be installing Python 3
INST_HG         = 1 so I will  be installing Mercurial
INST_PYX        = 0 so I won't be installing PyX
INST_SCIPY      = 0 so I won't be installing scipy
INST_0MQ        = 1 so I will  be installing ZeroMQ
INST_ROCKSTAR   = 0 so I won't be installing Rockstar

HDF5_DIR=/opt/local , so I will not be installing HDF5

Installation will be to
  /Users/eschnett/yt-x86_64

and I'll be logging the installation in
  /Users/eschnett/yt-x86_64/yt_install.log

I think that about wraps it up.  If you want to continue, hit enter.
If you'd rather stop, maybe think things over, even grab a sandwich,
hit Ctrl-C.

Looks like you're running on Mac OSX.

NOTE: you must have the Xcode command line tools installed.

The instructions for obtaining these tools varies according
to your exact OS version.  On older versions of OS X, you
must register for an account on the apple developer tools
website: https://developer.apple.com/downloads to obtain the
download link.

We have gathered some additional instructions for each
version of OS X below. If you have trouble installing yt
after following these instructions, don't hesitate to contact
the yt user's e-mail list.

You can see which version of OSX you are running by clicking
'About This Mac' in the apple menu on the left hand side of
menu bar.  We're assuming that you've installed all operating
system updates; if you have an older version, we suggest
running software update and installing all available updates.

OS X 10.5.8: search for and download Xcode 3.1.4 from the
Apple developer tools website.

OS X 10.6.8: search for and download Xcode 3.2 from the Apple
developer tools website.  You can either download the
Xcode 3.2.2 Developer Tools package (744 MB) and then use
Software Update to update to XCode 3.2.6 or
alternatively, you can download the Xcode 3.2.6/iOS SDK
bundle (4.1 GB).

OS X 10.7.5: download Xcode 4.2 from the mac app store
(search for Xcode).
Alternatively, download the Xcode command line tools from
the Apple developer tools website.

OS X 10.8.4, 10.9, and 10.10: download the appropriate version of
Xcode from the mac app store (search for Xcode).

Additionally, you will have to manually install the Xcode
command line tools.

For OS X 10.8, see:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9353444

For OS X 10.9 and 10.10, the command line tools can be installed
with the following command:
    xcode-select --install

Awesome!  Here we go.

Using wget
Using shasum -a 512
Installing PNG
Installing FreeType2
Installing SQLite3
Installing Python 2. This may take a while, but don't worry. yt loves you.
        FAILURE REPORT:

                 from /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CGBitmapContext.h:9,
                 from /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CoreGraphics.h:11,
                 from /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices.h:35,
                 from /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24,
                 from Include/pymactoolbox.h:10,
                 from Python/mactoolboxglue.c:27:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CGFont.h:53:40: error: initializer element is not constant
 static const CGFontIndex kCGGlyphMax = kCGFontIndexMax;
                                        ^
make: *** [Python/mactoolboxglue.o] Error 1

Failure.  Check /Users/eschnett/yt-x86_64/yt_install.log.  The last 10 lines are above.
```

I'd be grateful for any pointers.