[yt-dev] Adopting a code of conduct

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:27:21 PST 2015

Hi all,

I'd like to start the ball rolling on instituting a code of conduct for the
yt community. This will be added as a YTEP, linked from the "community"
portion of the webpage, and added the the yt repository.

Having a code of conduct is important because it the community norms we
abide by very concrete. It also affirms our commitment to embracing
diversity, openness, respect, and collegiality in our interactions. I think
officially adopting a code of conduct also lowers the barrier to entry for
new contributors who might be scared off based on preconceived notions
about open source projects (e.g. the Linux kernel).

I think a good place to start would be to use the Python Software
Foundation's code of conduct and just replace "Python" with "The yt
Project". I really like the PSF code of conduct and feel that it does a
good job of describing how we conduct business already.

I'm curious whether this is amenable to everyone. Are there other CoC
documents that we should look at? Are there additional points we should add
to or elide from the PSF CoC to make it more fitting for yt?

Thanks for your input!

-Nathan