[yt-dev] advice on implementing halo member particle loading

Ben Thompson bthompson2090 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 08:08:37 PDT 2015

+1 for this idea. I have essentially been using yt.sphere data contains
with the virial radius as my way of querying the particles within the halo.
When in fact depending on the halo finder, halos do not necessary have to
be spherical. Likewise rockstar and other halo finders also have machinery
to tell you what particles are currently in the halo too.

On topic of halo finders, how easy do you guys think would it be to
implement other halo finders? Or at least be able to read in the results of
other halo finders? With machinery like this, it would potentially be
easier to "at least" include the results of other halo finders too. I have
been using AHF for a lot of my work recently but am currently working with
a custom version of the pynbody halo catalog (pretty much a direct rip but
using YT to handle the units upon initialisation). I imagine with machinery
like this it would be easier to do so.

Ben.