[yt-dev] Issue #1008: Difficulties with particle data sets (yt_analysis/yt)

Adam Ginsburg issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Sun Mar 29 03:40:29 PDT 2015

New issue 1008: Difficulties with particle data sets
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/1008/difficulties-with-particle-data-sets

Adam Ginsburg:

I have a particle data set I am loading with `yt.load_particles`:

```
ds = yt.load_particles(data,
                       length_unit=udisti*centimeter,
                       mass_unit=umassi*gram, n_ref=n_ref,
                       velocity_unit=udisti/utimei*centimeter/second,
                       time_unit=utimei*second,
                       sim_time=gt*utimei*second,
                       periodicity=(False,False,False),
                       bbox=bbox)
```

In this case, `n_ref=8` and everything else is loaded from the simulation.

I'm trying to do a few things that don't work.  I can successfully create a projection, but - at some point in the very recent past - I was unable to add contours to that projection, getting an error like "YTFieldNotFound: Could not find field '('all', 'density')' in ParticleData.".  That problem seems to have disappeared, though - I can't explain why, as I didn't change anything.

If I try to make an isosurface contour for uploading to sketchfab, I get a `NotImplementedError`.  Is there any way to grid the data first, then make isosurface contours?

If I try to make a volume rendering projection using the camera, I get the following segfault:
```
>>> ds = yt_from_jim(os.path.join(root_path, fn))
>>> ad = ds.all_data()
>>> mi, ma = ad.quantities.extrema("all_density")
>>> tf = yt.ColorTransferFunction((np.log10(mi)+1, np.log10(ma)))
>>> tf.add_layers(5, w=0.02, colormap="spectral")
>>> c = [0.5, 0.5, 0.5]
>>> L = [0.5, 0.2, 0.7]
>>> W = 1.0
>>> Npixels=512
>>> cam = ds.camera(c, L, W, Npixels, tf, fields='all_density')
Failed to split grids.
Failed to split grids.
Failed to split grids.
Failed to split grids.
Failed to split grids.
/Users/adam/anaconda/envs/astropy27/bin/python.app: line 3: 13569 Segmentation fault: 11  /Users/adam/anaconda/envs/astropy27/python.app/Contents/MacOS/python "$@"
```

The data are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/922kurz8vusa6pj/RUNI180?dl=0
and the loading script is here:
https://github.com/keflavich/jimpy/blob/master/yt/to_yt.py

I'll be trying a few more things (e.g., off-axis projection), so I'll add to this issue as I run into more problems.