[yt-dev] Request for review: cython grid visitors

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 07:38:20 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I created a pull request a while back:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/1384/wip-grid-visitors-in-cython/diff

which contains a slight refactoring of the Grid Tree by John ZuHone,
as well as a bitarray implementation and a first set of "grid visitor"
functions, similar in spirit to the octree visitor functions.

I was hoping to request a review with an aim to get it merged in
before turning it on.  The grid visitor functions haven't been turned
on yet, but I think it's worth getting feedback in advance of that,
and also so that the bitarray code (which should have been its own PR,
sadly) can get used elsewhere.

A while back, Sam and I looked for performance regressions; the
biggest one was in the generic chunking system and its impact on patch
based data.  This should both improve the speed of that system for
grid patch datasets as well as reduce the memory overhead.  Getting
this PR landed, and then turning it on at a later date will be a big
step forward in getting performance improvements as well as memory
reduction.

Thanks,

Matt