[yt-dev] Issue #1009: Streamline plot callback may be transposed (yt_analysis/yt)

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Mon Mar 30 15:16:41 PDT 2015

Hi Matt, I've been thinking about the need for us to create some special
verification datasets where we know what the right answer is, so we can
test the various routines, like the streamline plot, to see if we get the
expected plot.  These should be conceptually simple datasets (like a
left-handed vortex of vectors) where we know what the result should look
like.

I had tried something earlier with a volume render dataset when I was
playing with left/right handedness. In that case, I had simply made my
dataset in NumPy as a cubic array and then fed it into yt -- that seems to
be an easy route to testing these things.

Mike

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Matthew Turk <issues-reply at bitbucket.org>
wrote:

> New issue 1009: Streamline plot callback may be transposed
>
> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/1009/streamline-plot-callback-may-be-transposed
>
> Matthew Turk:
>
> In debugging the streamline plot callback, I've run into something odd.
> I'm hoping @jwise77 , who wrote it originally, might be able to chime in.
>
> It's not clear to me that we are doing "the right thing" since we have an
> image plot which is using `origin='lower'` and a streamline plot that is
> not.  Additionally, the x, y ordering requires us *not* to transpose the
> resultant image buffers to get the right shape of our array, if we have a
> non-unitary input buffer.
>
> In short, I think the inputs may be transposed but shouldn't be, and I'm
> not sure the streamplot is right.
>
> Responsible: MatthewTurk

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale