[yt-dev] yt team meeting tomorrow

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Mon Jun 29 14:09:38 PDT 2015

HI Britton, I meant to find time to call in, but couldn't today.

But I'm curious -- is anyone going to SciPy next week?  I'm going for the
conference days, mainly to see what others are doing for teaching
computational science / python classes, but it would be nice to get
together with other yt-ers there.

Mike

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> My apologies for the confusion.  I should explain how these meetings get
> scheduled and I am open to suggestions on how to improve things.
>
> As per the Team Infrastructure YTEP (
> https://ytep.readthedocs.org/en/latest/YTEPs/YTEP-1776.html), monthly
> meetings are to be held with the project subcomponent leaders present.  I
> am currently designated as the coordinator of those meetings.  I have
> dropped the ball for a few months now and we have not had a meeting since
> February.  Currently, there are 95 people on the yt-dev list, so when it
> comes to scheduling the meeting, I only send a doodle poll to the official
> subcomponent leaders.  Once a time has been picked, an invitation is sent
> to yt-dev.  On this specific occasion, the meeting time was only
> established last night, so the announcement came with very little notice.
>
> My goal is to make the meeting as inclusive as possible while also
> ensuring that people who are most likely to contribute are able to come.
> My current method obviously leaves out a lot of people, like yourself, who
> are not listed as leads but would, more likely than not, like to be at the
> meeting.  One solution would be for more people to volunteer for leadership
> positions.  At this point, the sole duty for each lead has been to show up
> at the meeting.  Another would be to make more positions, or to have a
> general "board member"-like designation.  Maybe I just need to announce the
> meeting with more warning, which I usually try to do and will try harder to
> do in the future.
>
> Anyway, I am open to suggestions on how to improve this process and I
> apologize for leaving anyone out.
>
> Britton
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 7:02 PM, John ZuHone <jzuhone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Britton,
>>
>> I'm a little concerned that this meeting may not be representative. From
>> the lack of responses to the email, it's not clear to me how many of us are
>> available for the hangout. Also, I at least was not aware that we were
>> doing this today until yesterday.
>>
>> I somehow missed the fact that we had a Doodle poll to decide when this
>> was--which may be my fault for not making sure my name is on the YTEP.
>>
>> I will try to jump on, but I'm at a conference that is running late so I
>> will probably be delayed by about 15-20 minutes.
>>
>> I hate to be a pill, but there's no chance we can reschedule this?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> John
>>
>> John ZuHone
>> Kavli Center for Astrophysics and Space Research
>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>> 77 Massachusetts Ave., 37-582G
>> Cambridge, MA 02139
>> (w) 617-253-2354
>> (m) 781-708-5004
>> jzuhone at space.mit.edu
>> jzuhone at gmail.com
>> http://www.jzuhone.com

> [...]

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale