[yt-dev] about alternative kernel functions

Bili Dong qobilidop at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 17:49:16 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Currently in yt, only the default cubic spline kernel function is provided and used for the smoothing. I’m thinking about adding more kernel functions, providing the possibility to choose from them and also the possibility for the users to provide their own ones. In my own research, a quintic spline kernel is used, for example. So I guess this functionality might also be useful for other users.

My current plan goes like this:
1. Add several common kernel functions besides the current one.
2. Build a naming system.
3. Put a kwarg in appropriate places to pass the name of the kernel function. For now, I’m thinking about put it in the ParticleSmoothOperation class as a parameter of __init__.
4. Reserve a special kwarg value which can be used to pass the user-provided kernel functions.

I’m not much experienced with yt. So correct me if there are any mistakes or omissions! Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Bili