[yt-dev] proposing a yt-3.2 release

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:59:01 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

Nathan and I just met briefly to discuss backporting all bugfix PRs from
the development branch to stable so as to do a minor release.  This has
become absolutely necessary as a large number of bugs have appeared and
been fixed since the last release, which was nearly 6 months ago.  By my
rough estimate, there have been about 200 PRs accepted since the last
release, with a large fraction of them being bug fixes.  Therefore, it
seemed to both Nathan and I that there were simply too many changesets that
need to be picked out of dev and transplanted to stable for such an
operation to be feasible.

Instead, a far simpler solution is to bite the bullet and do a 3.2 release
with everything currently in dev.  Fortunately, as we require passing tests
and documentation of new features, this would require relatively little
effort.  Most of the work is cleaning up errors in the docs build, for
which Nathan is filing tickets as I write this.

I want to be clear that we desperately need a new release with the number
of bugs that have been fixed since the last one.  If we do not do this,
then someone else needs to step up and backport all those bugfixes to
stable.

For now, can I please get a +-1 on whether you agree with this proposal.
If this meets with approval, then I will coordinate taking the next steps.

Britton