[yt-dev] Near-term maintenance goals

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Sun Jan 18 15:43:32 PST 2015

trying this now (in between trips).

just to be clear, I cloned your yt repo, did 'hg update python3'  and I'm
going to try building it with python3 as:

python3 setup.py develop --user

and see how things go with a python3 stack.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thank you!  As of this evening, Jill, Kacper and I have a pull request
> that claims to pass all the tests for 2.7 and 3.4.  If you could have a
> shot at that (bookmark "python3" in my repo) that would be very helpful!
>
> After doing all of this, I'm thinking we should aim for a unified codebase
> for 2/3 in the near future.
>
> -Matt
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Michael Zingale <
> michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt, I'd be happy to help test out the python3 stuff when you think
>> it is ready for testing.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I wanted to lay out a few things that I'm hoping to work on in the near
>>> term future.  These are all maintenance goals for yt, not new
>>> functionality; I'm thinking that for me at least new functionality may need
>>> to take a backseat for a little while, even though it's tons of fun.
>>>
>>>  * Performance: there have been performance regressions for patch AMR
>>> code, as well as the codebase as a whole, in support of generality.  I've
>>> started looking at this and hope to spend more time on it.  Sam, Kacper and
>>> I have all expressed interest in plugging at this.  Next week i'm going to
>>> try to set up a hangout where we look at issues, set up regression testing
>>> for performance, and then even perhaps try to address them in the hangout.
>>>  * Python3: I have spent a little bit of time working on Python 3 in the
>>> past (mostly in collaboration with Jill), and even just updated the PR this
>>> morning.  There are still test failures and errors which I would like to

*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale