[yt-dev] pip requirements

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:15:02 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM, John ZuHone <jzuhone at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 18, 2015, at 6:24 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > fair enough.  it should also be possible to make h5py an on-demand
> import, like astropy.
>
> That would probably be pretty difficult, actually. I've had people ask for
> this, but their use cases are pretty corner.

I think making the top-level "yt" import not depend on h5py is definitely
doable.

We import h5py a bunch of places, but we don't actually *need* it for
anything besides reading certain data types and things like hdf5 sidecar
files, which can just fail with an import error.

In fact, the only thing we use in the h5py namespace is "File", so we would
just need to wrap that class.