[yt-dev] Repo cleanup

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 16:35:37 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'd like to spend some time in the next week or two doing some cleanup and
tidying up on the yt repo.  This comes in two flavors: removing dead code
and adding basic linting tests.

Dead Code
---------------

There are still a number of big chunks of legacy code in the codebase that
aren't called by anything, including:

* boolean data objects
* reason / reason plot widgets (yt.gui)
* two scripts in the top-level "scripts" directory (pyro_queue.py and
yt_lodgeit.py)
* the top-level "tests" directory
* possibly some of the analysis modules? (star_analysis and
two_point_functions)

I'm curious what others think about removing some or all of this code. I'd
particularly like to hear if I'm wrong about the code in the list above or
if I've missed any chunks of unused code.

I do understand the desire to keep the code in the repository in the hopes
that one day someone might make it functional, but I think this
consideration is balanced by how confusing it can be to come across dead
code and then get frustrated after finding weird incompatibilities.

Basic Linting Tests
-------------------------

I'd like to catch as many errors as possible by doing basic static analysis
of the yt codebase using pyflakes and flake8.  We already have coverage
with both tools run as part of the test suite, but introducing errors
detected by these tools does not fail the build. I'd like to add a few of
the errors caught by these tools to the test suite itself, making the tools
optional dependencies for the tests. Hopefully these new tests will be
useful and not obnoxious: I'm not talking about enforcing pep8 as part of
the test suite.

To do this, I think the biggest change necessary is to get rid of all
instances of "import *" throughout the codebase. This will allow us to test
for unused imports (probably shouldn't fail the build) or missing imports
(definitely should fail the build).

Again, I'd appreciate any comments or objections to this general approach.

Thanks for your attention! Sorry for the long e-mail...

-Nathan