[yt-dev] Issue #1057: seg fault in particle_deposit.pyx (yt_analysis/yt)

Brian O'Shea issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Tue Aug 4 08:51:54 PDT 2015

New issue 1057: seg fault in particle_deposit.pyx
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1057/seg-fault-in-particle_depositpyx

Brian O'Shea:

This script:

  http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5778/

running on this dataset:

  http://galactica.pa.msu.edu/~bwoshea/data/datasets/DD0013.tar

is causing a segmentation fault in the tip of yt (changeset fffa77d2fdc2) using Cython 0.22 (and 0.22.1).  When @ngoldbaum  and I tracked it down, it seems to be crashing at line 375 in particle_deposit.pyx , where the value of the variable ii is being set to a large negative number.

Note that this bug only seems to occur on some systems - I can get it to happen on my Mac desktop (OS X 10.9.5, LLVM v6) and also a Linux cluster (gcc/4.4.5 and gcc/4.8.3), but Nathan has one machine where it works and one where it doesn't.

Nathan will follow this with a stack trace from his gdb bughunt.

Responsible: MatthewTurk