[yt-dev] New code frontend

Jill Naiman jnaiman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:08:17 PDT 2015

Hi Nicola,

I am also interested in supporting Voroni-Delaunay tessellations so feel
free to keep me in the loop!  I was going to try to start writing a front
end for Arepo at some point (which uses them), but I didn't have a specific
time schedule in mind.

Cheers,
-Jill

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicola,
>
> Thanks for writing!  There's work being done on unstructured meshes
> right now, and the timeline is that we're aiming to have support for
> tetrahedra, hexahedra, and wedges by the end of May.  Jill Naiman and
> I are sprinting on this the next couple weeks.  That doesn't *quite*
> get you to what you're looking for, but it's a slightly different
> situation for voronoi tesselations anyway, since they are both more
> complex and simpler to define.
>
> What would be possible, right now, would be to load in the data as
> particles, visualize it (by over-refining the mesh by a good amount
> and using nearest-neighbor mesh deposition), and if you have the
> volumes stored in advance, do quantitative analysis.  Computing the
> volumes on the fly isn't yet possible (but could be implemented) and
> hopefully in the next couple weeks it'll be a lot easier to make
> visualizations without over-refining the mesh.
>
> Please feel free to stop by IRC sometime to chat more about this, and
> if you are able to give a try to loading in as particles, let us know
> how that goes.
>
> -Matt
>
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Nicola Clementel <clementel at saao.ac.za>
> wrote:
> > Dear yt developer,
> >
> > I would like to use yt to visualise the output from the SimpleX
> radiative transfer code.
> > Due to the "Voroni-Delaunay" unstructured grid use in the code the
> output ‘cells’ are tetrahedra.
> >
> > From a firs look into the code and in the documentation, I was not able
> to find if this kind of unstructured grid are already supported in yt or if
> something similar is under development.
> > If one of the other code have something similar already implemented that
> I can use as guideline it would be incredibly helpful!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nicola Clementel

Jill P. Naiman, Ph.D.
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
jill.naiman at cfa.harvard.edu
www.astroblend.com
www.avriot.com