[yt-dev] support for the pluto code in yt

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Wed Sep 3 13:05:14 PDT 2014

The boxlib frontend does subclasses for several codes -- Maestro and Castro
are probably the most up to date, so you can model your changes off of that.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Antoine Strugarek <
strugarek at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Indeed I’m using pluto hdf5 files with the chombo frontend, and yt is
> already capable of loading my data. My idea was to make yt aware of the
> names of the various fields that we use with pluto and units, as you
> guessed. I think this should be fairly simple, since it would just need the
> definition of the aliases. I’ll check the Chombo classes you indicated, is
> there already in yt an example of such subclassing (for another
> frontend/code) I could take inspiration from?
> Thanks!
>
> Antoine
>

> Le 2014-09-03 à 15:55 , Andrew Myers <atmyers2 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi Antoine,
>
> Thanks for your interest in developing the Pluto frontend! I added the
> current Pluto frontend a while back (with support for Chombo-style HDF5
> files only), but I don't think it was ever really used and has likely
> fallen into disrepair as yt has evolved from 2.X to 3.0. It would be
> awesome if you'd like to resurrect it and make it into a fully-supported
> piece of yt.
>
> Currently, there is a lot of code duplication between the pluto and chombo
> frontends. If you are working with Chombo HDF5 outputs, it's likely that yt
> 3.0 can already load your datasets via the chombo frontend, but it won't
> know things like what field names to expect in your dataset, or be able to
> set up units properly.  To add support for these features, you probably
> want to sub-class the ChomboHierarchy, ChomboDataset, and ChomboFieldInfo
> classes found in frontends/chombo/data_structures.py and
> frontends/chombo/fields.py. I'd be more than happy to help with this, if
> you want.
>
> If you're not working with the Chombo-style outputs, then I'm afraid I
> won't be much help, and you'll have to create a new frontend from scratch.
>
> At any rate, you should generally feel free to go to town on any of the
> code in frontends/pluto, as I don't think anyone is relying on it.
>
> -Andrew
>

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Antoine Strugarek <
> strugarek at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi yt-developers,
>>
>> I was originally interested in developing a frontend for the pluto code (
>> http://plutocode.ph.unito.it/) since I am a regular user of this code,
>> and I saw that many things for pluto were already there in yt but the pluto
>> fronted was not activated in the frontends/api.py file (the line with
>> ‘pluto’ is commented out). Do you know if in a more recent version of yt
>> this has been finished up, or if it still in the process of being
>> implemented? Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Antoine

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale