[yt-dev] proper handling species fields

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Tue Oct 7 07:55:02 PDT 2014

This works for me (although I don't think there is a concept of H2_p1 when
dealing with nuclei).  Also it is interesting to see how different people
view our field (astrophysics).  I would have called the nuclear physics
stuff "astrophysics" and the other stuff "chemistry" :)

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would rather not change the field names to denote the domain, but
> instead only optionally make fields available with varying naming
> convention based on loaded field plugins.  For example, you might have in
> astrophysical_species:
> ("gas", "H_number_density")
> ("gas", "H_p1_number_density")
>
> but in nuclear_physics_species:
> ("gas", "H1_number_density")
> ("gas", "H1_p1_number_density")
> ("gas", "H2_number_density")
> ("gas", "H2_p1_number_density")
> to denote different isotopes.
>
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Cameron Hummels <chummels at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of having context-specific field domains.  It seems to me
>> that is why the field system was generalized to have two parts in the first
>> place.  Perhaps we could move the nuclear fields to ('nuclear',
>> 'Ytterbium_V') or something like that?  Either way, I'm in favor of
>> expanding YTEP-0003.  Good suggestions everyone.
>>
>> Cameron
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> Thanks for starting this discussion.  As you have stated, trying to
>>> encompass all domains with a single nomenclature probably won't work.
>>> Currently, the field system is set up to load all field plugins for every
>>> dataset, but I think we should be able to move to having different
>>> frontends declare which plugins they want and only load those.  With that
>>> in place, for example, the current species field plugin can be renamed to
>>> be astrophysics-specific and another one can be created that is nuclear
>>> physics-specific.  If people are in favor of something like this, then I
>>> would suggest that we try to expand YTEP-0003 to different domains and
>>> establish the naming conventions there.
>>>
>>> Britton

>> --
>> Cameron Hummels
>> Postdoctoral Researcher
>> Steward Observatory
>> University of Arizona
>> http://chummels.org

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale