[yt-dev] PlotWindow show() outside of notebook

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 20:24:50 PST 2014

This has been on my radar for a while, but Iikely won't have time to think
about this for several months. If you want to take this on, I think that
would be great.

As for difficulty, I'd say moderate to hard. There would need to be a
design discussion about the proper way to hook into matplotlib and select a
backend. This needs to happen using matplotlib's OO interface, outside of
pyplot, unless we can figure out a way to not crash Python when we try to
use an interactive backend on a headless session.

Once that happens, it should only be necessary to select the correct
FigureCanvas subclass and attach it to the plot object.

FWIW, there's an issue for this here:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/660/support-for-interactive-mpl-backends