[yt-dev] io chunks in yt-3.0

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon May 12 11:16:11 PDT 2014

Hey all,

I'm working on changing how HaloCatalog objects loop over halos from a
model where every processor has to hold the entire halo list to a model in
which we loop over "io" chunks.  This will make the HaloCatalog scale much
better to extremely large catalogs.  My understanding was that an "io"
chunk was essentially one file on disk.  However, when I try to get io
chunks from any one of the various halo catalog frontends, there seems to
only ever be a single chunk that contains everything, regardless of how
many files on disk the data is spread over.  Is there a way to change this
so that an io chunk represents the data from a single file?

Britton