[yt-dev] _determine_fields

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon May 5 14:46:17 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I've been discussing with Hilary the best way to allow ProfilePlot to work
with profile data loaded from disk.  It seems it would be easy enough to
make a Profile object from loaded data, but the holdup is that there are a
number of calls to data_source._determine_fields for simple things like
checking if a field is log or linear.

I had a look at this function, which hangs off of YTDataContainer, and
noticed that it doesn't seem to really need the data container itself.  I'm
thinking that this function could be moved to instead hang off of the
Dataset object without a problem.  If so, then ProfilePlot could much more
easily be extended to work with data from disk, since you could also supply
None for the data_source.

Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

Britton