[yt-dev] Issue #809: Showing plots in the notebook broken for old versions of Ipython (yt_analysis/yt)

Andrew Myers issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Sat Mar 22 18:31:59 PDT 2014

New issue 809: Showing plots in the notebook broken for old versions of Ipython
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/809/showing-plots-in-the-notebook-broken-for

Andrew Myers:

I noticed this when I updated an old yt installation that had Ipython version 0.11. Creating, say, a SlicePlot in the notebook and then calling show() produces the following error:

```
#!python

NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-4-bdbc9c77dc7a> in <module>()
----> 1 sl.show()

/Users/atmyers/yt/src/yt-hg/yt/visualization/plot_container.pyc in show(self)
    452             api_version = get_ipython_api_version()
    453             if api_version in ('0.10', '0.11'):
--> 454                 self._send_zmq()
    455             else:
    456                 from IPython.display import display

/Users/atmyers/yt/src/yt-hg/yt/visualization/plot_container.pyc in _send_zmq(self)
    427             # Due to a quirk in the matplotlib API, we need to create
    428             # a dummy canvas variable here that is never used.
--> 429             canvas = FigureCanvasAgg(v.figure)  # NOQA
    430             display(v.figure)
    431

NameError: global name 'FigureCanvasAgg' is not defined
```

The fix is simply to add this import right before line 429. This likely eluded detection since this only affects users with rather old versions of Ipython...

PR incoming shortly.

Responsible: atmyers