[yt-dev] Change the default plot size?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 10:42:26 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I recently opened a PR that fixes a number of bugs in yt's plotting code.
 Hopefully this will fix many common visual issues that show up in yt plots.

As part of the PR I decided to change the default size of yt plots from 8
inches to 6.  My justification is that the current default will create a
plot that overflows an IPython notebook output cell, particularly on small
displays.

The PR is here:
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/723/fixing-some-longstanding-issues-with-plot/diff#comment-1433174

The discussion about the figure size is here:
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/723/fixing-some-longstanding-issues-with-plot/diff#comment-1432943

As I mention in the PR description I'm willing to back down on this change
if the consensus is that this is a bad idea.

Matt has already come out against the change, but before I revert it I
wanted to bring it up here and get opinions from other people.

Thanks for your help :)

-Nathan