[yt-dev] unit refactor and rebranding are approaching ready to go

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 12:02:18 PST 2014

Hi all,

After our successful sprint today on rebranding, we've implemented
most or all of the changes in YTEP-0017, which primarily amounts of
moving fields and field detection up to static outputs, along with all
the data objects and changing names from .h to .index and whatnot.  We
have not yet implemented YTEP-0019, which is making "import yt" do
what we use "yt.mods" for now, but it's on its way.

The remaining items for rebranding are listed in this card:

https://trello.com/c/AlU0lac3/2-rebranding

None are blockers for acceptance, I think.

The remaining blockers for merging unitrefactor into mainline yt-3.0
are the red ones on these boards:

https://trello.com/b/HCLLFxEE/documentation
https://trello.com/b/yv7o0dTp/unit-refactor

In essence, it's the remaining frontends and the SPH smoothing docs.
Orange cards are blockers to a 3.0 release.

The pull request for rebranding is here:

https://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt/pull-request/85/rebranding

This may cause problems, although we have attempted to retain
backwards compatibility.  The test suite passes except for the three
frontends that have not been converted to unitrefactor.  To test, run
this:

hg pull -r rebranding http://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt-units
hg up rebranding

you may need to force a rebuild.  Please report problems on the PR; if
you find something that needs doing, add a card on Trello.

The plan is to finish up the unit refactor documentation (SPH
smoothign is the only remaining blocker), the rebranding testing, and
then merge en masse into the main yt-3.0 branch in yt_analysis/yt .