[yt-dev] RFC: Staggered deprecation through 3.1 and 3.2

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:22:35 PDT 2014

I think there remain some issues in the VR working in 3.0, which I
identified on the cookbook post on the trello board for yt-3.0.  For
example, I know the overlaying grids and overlaying boundaries does not
currently work.  That may be an easy fix, but it's something to keep in
mind.  I was going to work on it last week as I was doing the cookbook
update, but I figured it was just going to get replaced with the scene
interface, so it wasn't worth the time.

I guess I'd still like to have all of the API breakage occur in the big
jump from 2.x to 3.0, but if people really want to get 3.0 out the door
asap, then perhaps that isn't compatible. Personally, I'm +1 on waiting to
have all the halo+VR stuff in 3.0 instead of 3.1, but if everyone else
wants a 3.0 out sooner, I will not block it.  I think having a super fancy
VR and awesome halo interface is one of the big pulls to getting people who
have not yet switched to join 3.0 (from both 2.x as well as non-users) even
if it takes a few more months, but I may be the minority here.

Cameron

Cameron Hummels
Postdoctoral Researcher
Steward Observatory