[yt-dev] Zombie jobs on eudora?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 06:09:57 PDT 2014

Hi Nathan,

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking at a memory leak that Philip (cc'd) is seeing when iterating
> over a long list of FLASH datasets.  Just as an example of the type of
> behavior he is seeing - today he left his script running and ended up
> consuming 300 GB of RAM on a viz node.
>
> FWIW, the dataset is not particularly large - ~300 outputs and ~100 MB per
> output. These are also FLASH cylindrical coordinate simulations - so perhaps
> this behavior will only occur in curvilinear geometries?

Hm, I don't know about that.

> I've been playing with objgraph to try to understand what's happening.
> Here's the script I've been using: http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4762/
>
> Here's the output after one iteration of the for loop:
> http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4761/
>
> It seems that for some reason a lot of data is not being garbage collected.
>
> Could there be a reference counting bug somewhere down in a cython routine?

Based on what you're running, the only Cython routines being called
are likely in the selection system.

> Objgraph is unable to find backreferences to root grid tiles in the flash
> dataset, and all the other yt objects that I've looked at seem to have
> backreference graphs that terminate at a FLASHGrid object that represents a
> root grid tile in one of the datasets.  That's the best guess I have - but
> definitely nothing conclusive.  I'd appreciate any other ideas anyone else
> has to help debug this.

I'm not entirely sure how to parse the output you've pasted, but I do
have a thought.  If you have a reproducible case, I can test it
myself.  I am wondering if this could be related to the way that grid
masks are cached.  You should be able to test this by adding this line
to _get_selector_mask in grid_patch.py, just before "return mask"

self._last_mask = self._last_selector_id = None

Something like this patch:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/4316/

-Matt