[yt-dev] Non-periodic datasets and ghost zones

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Wed Jun 25 15:49:37 PDT 2014

There are a lot of different types of boundary conditions, and some codes
take different actions depending on the variable, so it would be difficult
to support everything.  I have the Maestro front-end reading in the
boundary type, but I usually have to override it to periodic to get yt to
work.

One option is to provide just the minimum types of boundaries, a
zero-gradient/Neumann/outflow, and a reflection (perhaps that does
odd-reflection for vectors normal to the interface).  This should cover
most of the standard use cases (maybe a survey of what types of boundaries
people use would help?).  To close the remaining gap, there could be a
standard function interface that a user or frontend writer could provide to
handle "custom" BCs.

It would also be useful to know what routines need boundary conditions and
how many ghost cells are needed.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Maybe just fill the ghost zones with zeros?  If we're feeling really
> ambitious we could read in the boundary conditions for the simulation and
> do whatever is appropriate for those BCs.
>

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What should we do (in general) about non-periodic datasets and getting
>> ghost zones for the domain edges?
>>
>> This is the reason that the cookbook recipe
>> simple_slice_with_multiple_fields.py fails -- it's trying to get
>> vorticity (needs GZs) for a non-periodic dataset.
>>
>> Fixing the cookbook only requires swapping out the dataset, but I
>> thought we should probably open this discussion up a bit too.
>>
>> -Matt

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale