[yt-dev] star particles in HaloCatalog

Josh Moloney Joshua.Moloney at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jun 25 14:33:43 PDT 2014

I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to create a HaloCatalog
that contains dark matter and star particles, but as far as I can tell
there isn't one. From what I understand, the following things are true of
the current HaloCatalog implementation (but please correct me if I'm wrong):

Rockstar doesn't support multiple mass particles so can't be used for this.
Only previously created Rockstar halos can be loaded into a HaloCatalog
with halo_pf (not hop or fof).
Any halo finder can be called when a HaloCatalog is created, but there
isn't a way to pass keyword arguments to the finder so they are always run
with dm_only = True.

Is there another method that I'm missing that gets around these problems?
If not, it's probably worth adding a way to pass keyword arguments to the
individual halo finders from HaloCatalog, especially if the plan for 3.0 is
to have all halo functionality centered around these catalogs.
      - Josh