[yt-dev] Organizational Issues with Docs

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Wed Jul 30 08:23:13 PDT 2014

Regarding the Caps, if I was already editing a page, I was doing the Caps
according to the Chicago Manual of Style (which says prepositions should
not be in Caps, but even they admit it's fuzzy:
http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/CapitalizationTitles/faq0007.html
)

(I did this because almost all of the titles on a page I was editing were
in caps save a few, so I just made them consistent)

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2014 10:11 AM, "Cameron Hummels" <chummels at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey peeps,
> >
> > Right now there is inconsistency in the docs of using YT, ``yt`` (i.e.
> code-text) or yt.  What do people prefer here?  I think we should avoid YT,
> but I could go either way on the remaining two options.
> >

> In proposals I always do \texttt{yt}. I think I'm okay with either code
> text or non code text in the docs, but definitely no uppercase. This might
> not be worth going through and fixing though.
>
> > Also, section headers are of two formats: "Capitalize all Important
> Words" and "Only capitalize the first word of the section".  I'm more of a
> +1 on the first option.
> >
> > There is a suggestion made by Michael Zingale about moving the parallel
> docs from the analysis section to being a top-level section in the docs,
> since it applies to viz, analysis, etc.  I'm -1 on this move as I like
> having the top-level docs be relatively few in number.
> >
> > Lastly, there is no real "introduction" as to what the different
> sections mean.  There is the bootcamp and cookbook which give lots of usage
> examples, but no true introduction that tells people why to look at
> "fields" or "objects" or whatever.  We have tried to lay out the docs in an
> order and with labels that is logical and gives people an idea of their
> contents, but does anyone think we should have a short top-level
> introduction?  Or even something on the front page?  Not sure on this, but
> new users might have more of an opinion.
> >
> > Keep up the good work!
> >
> > Cameron
> >
> > --
> > Cameron Hummels
> > Postdoctoral Researcher
> > Steward Observatory
> > University of Arizona
> > http://chummels.org

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale