[yt-dev] yt hub

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 07:50:30 PDT 2014

So to address the enzo testing side of things:

Sam, do you mean, make a gold standard prior to making changes, then after
changes test against the previously-made gold standard?  This addresses the
issues of seeing if your changes break the code, but what if a bad
changeset somehow gets into the codebase?  I like having a way of comparing
long-term (ie after several changesets) to see if the gold standard has
drifted substantially, say from changeset 1000 to 1100.  Or perhaps there
is a mechanism in your new jenkins instance that precludes this?  Is
jenkins already being run on every PR to make sure we're not merging in bad
code that breaks the test suite relative to the previous gold standard?  I
think what kacper has done in yt to make this happen is one of the major
successes of our development process, but it seems like it's a lot of work
to make it happen.

Another concern I have is that the defaults right now in the enzo testing
suite give you a bunch of errors because they're looking for the external
gold-standard.  So to a new user, even one who has read through the
documentation on how to use the test suite, it just appears like enzo is
broken and failing on a bunch of fronts.  At the very least if we keep this
model, we should make sure that it doesn't default to looking for a
non-existent gold standard and that the docs are updated to reflect this.

Cameron

Cameron Hummels
Postdoctoral Researcher
Steward Observatory