[yt-dev] GDF PR--call for some feedback

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Sat Jul 12 14:12:17 PDT 2014

Hi John, I just looked over the GDF format spec you linked to.  It's a nice
goal to have a general format, and I know from previous attempts that it
can be hard to fit everyone in.  Perhaps for the next spec, you might
consider making ``refine_by`` two-dimensional, with one dimension referring
to the level index and the other referring to the dimension.  I think that
this would be more general.  (Although I'll note that in Maestro, we always
ignore the second dimension and just assume all coordinate directions jump
by the same amount).

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM, John Zuhone <jzuhone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a work-in-progress PR in the hopper regarding GDF reading and
> writing:
>

> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/1001/wip-some-gdf-writing-work/diff
>
> What it does is implement direct writing of covering grids to GDF
> files (something I've been using in my research, to work with the
> resulting files directly in yt) and clobbering existing files with the
> same path if the user allows for it.
>
> However, when fiddling around with this I determined that it was
> necessary to make GDF more unit-aware. Ultimately, I determined that
> changes were needed that would break the standard that we had
> determined for the files (http://yt-project.org/gdf.txt).
>
> The two main changes are:
>
> 1) Remove "field_to_cgs", and allow the fields to be in whatever units
> we wish them to be in the file (which are specified as HDF5
> attributes).
>
> 2) Add a new top-level group containing the information for
> "length","mass", and "time" units. These will be used when the file is
> opened up in yt to determine the units.
>
> Since (for now) we do automatic conversion to cgs, that is something
> that is still left unimplemented, but otherwise I think this is all to
> do for now.
>
> I'm writing the email in case anyone has any suggestions or objections
> to the format changes--particularly Jeff or Kacper. We'll obviously
> need to document them if they are accepted.
>
> Best,
>
> John
>
> --
> John ZuHone
>
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
>
> jzuhone at gmail.com
> john.zuhone at nasa.gov

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale