[yt-dev] Organizational Issues with Docs

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 08:19:33 PDT 2014

On Jul 30, 2014 10:11 AM, "Cameron Hummels" <chummels at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey peeps,
>
> Right now there is inconsistency in the docs of using YT, ``yt`` (i.e.
code-text) or yt.  What do people prefer here?  I think we should avoid YT,
but I could go either way on the remaining two options.

In proposals I always do \texttt{yt}. I think I'm okay with either code
text or non code text in the docs, but definitely no uppercase. This might
not be worth going through and fixing though.

> Also, section headers are of two formats: "Capitalize all Important
Words" and "Only capitalize the first word of the section".  I'm more of a
+1 on the first option.

> There is a suggestion made by Michael Zingale about moving the parallel
docs from the analysis section to being a top-level section in the docs,
since it applies to viz, analysis, etc.  I'm -1 on this move as I like
having the top-level docs be relatively few in number.

> Lastly, there is no real "introduction" as to what the different sections
mean.  There is the bootcamp and cookbook which give lots of usage
examples, but no true introduction that tells people why to look at
"fields" or "objects" or whatever.  We have tried to lay out the docs in an
order and with labels that is logical and gives people an idea of their
contents, but does anyone think we should have a short top-level
introduction?  Or even something on the front page?  Not sure on this, but
new users might have more of an opinion.