[yt-dev] 3.0 release delay

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:06:35 PDT 2014

>> --Here is the most time-consuming step, and one that i've been doing for
>> a couple of weeks (which is how I've identified many of the previous tasks
>> for updating the docs:
>> Proofread the docs looking for things that are inaccurate or that have
>> not been touched since 2.x.  I'm not so concerned with typos or that sort
>> of thing--mostly just that there is wrong information in the docs.  I found
>> a bunch of old stuff that hasn't been changed as late as last night reading
>> through the docs.  The parts that are out of date are not always easy to
>> correct (it's not just changing pf->ds, or changing pf.h to ds), it's
>> usually just inaccurate information that needs to be updated, and sometimes
>> it is on specific topics on which only a handful of people are up-to-date
>> for 3.0.  This can mean actually trying to run code snippets that are in
>> the docs (just as a new user would if they were to encounter that section)
>> and see if it actually does what it is supposed to do, or if it breaks then
>> fix it.  Not always trivial.
>>

> What sections are you talking about here, specifically?

Well, that's the rub.  We don't know which sections need to be revised
until we proofread the whole thing.  Last night I found errors in the
"surfaces" sections and a few parts of the developer docs.  Matt found some
problems in the "creating derived fields" which I moved to a different
location in my current PR.  I think there are potentially problems
throughout the docs, but I imagine they are clustered around the sections
we don't regularly read: (the analyze section, the examining section, the
developer docs section, the references section).  I like to think I've
correct some of these problems in my recent PR (updating in a few minutes),
but I think there are still a lot of sections that need to be checked.

Cameron

>> So you can see why I'm hesitant to have things go out tomorrow.  I don't
>> see these as trivial tasks, or making things "perfect", but things that new
>> users of 3.0 *will* ask about.  Heck, I'm now a seasoned user of 3.0 and I
>> don't know the answers to these (and want to know), as an example.
>>
>> Cameron
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ...and I think they're mostly or exclusively on me. I have carved out
>>> time today to finish my sections up.

>> --
>> Cameron Hummels
>> Postdoctoral Researcher