[yt-dev] yt hub

Kacper Kowalik xarthisius.kk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 02:08:18 PDT 2014

On 07/17/2014 07:28 AM, Cameron Hummels wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Is there a timeline for the yt hub coming back up?  I believe the hold up
> had been the fee of hosting the hub, which I think was being covered by
> Matt's personal funds.  Is there ever any hope of getting some dedicated
> funds to support this in the future?  If not, I'm happy to chip in some
> money to help this get back up.  It seemed like a great resource both for
> hosting datasets and projects tangentially related to yt.  Also, I think it
> was the location of the enzo test gold standard, right?
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to see if there was a timeline for it coming back or
> if was out for the foreseeable future, or if we could help.
>
> Cameron

Hi Cameron,
I think at this point all the required infrastructure is available, so
it's not a matter of funds, but rather time. The original hub code needs
to be rewritten in some parts to fit into new environment.

Some of this work has been already done, e.g. Matt ported answer tests'
storage to rackspace[1], there's http://nbviewer.yt-project.org running.

Additionally, there's a very interesting project that we are planning to
use wrt datasets sharing: seedme.org. I'm going to adapt existing
commandline client in order to make 'yt upload_notebook' work again.
However, my time is very limited at the moment and I don't expect it to
change before September.

Cheers,
Kacper

[1] https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/832