[yt-dev] Move docs back into repo?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 20:57:24 PST 2014

I agree.  The ReadTheDocs version is mostly useful for doing a quick docs
build to see what an addition to the docs look like.  I was suggesting
making the ReadTheDocs build mode more prominent since it allows quick
iteration on the docs if one is only modifying the contents of an .rst file.

I don't think local docs builds or the ReadTheDocs build are particularly
useful for actual reference.  The former because it takes about a half
hour to generate a full docs build and the latter because of the lack of
API docs, recipe results, and evaluated notebooks.

Luckily, there is a full docs build at yt-project.org/docs/dev that is
fully built and updated whenever the docs change.  I think the availability
of the dev docs build obviates a lot of the need to build the docs locally
and completely supplants ReadTheDocs.  In fact, I'd be for permanently
redirecting our ReadTheDocs page to the dev docs build.

That said, there definitely is a potential barrier for adding a new
notebook or recipe, as a quick example, since notebooks and cookbooks
are only built in the full build.

I don't think that is a big problem in practice, since some of us keep
local docs builds that we can use to test new additions and then report
issues during the docs PR process.

If anyone is curious about doing a full docs build, there are
instructions in the development section of the docs:
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/developing/building_the_docs.html