[yt-dev] Move docs back into repo?

John Wise jwise at physics.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 24 10:48:26 PST 2014

+1

Great idea.  I agree that having the docs in the same repository will
bring more attention to developing them alongside with the source,
especially the merging of the PR database.

Cheers,
John

On 01/24/2014 11:29 AM, Matthew Turk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A couple years ago we moved the docs into their own repository.  This
> was for two reasons:
>
>   1) We wanted to include more images, which bloated the repository size
>   2) There was a lot of churn at the time in the docs
>
> But, the docs are falling behind with 3.0.  And, more to the point,
> the fact that they live separate from the main repo means that the PRs
> are evaluated separately, they are updated separately, and if you want
> to write docs for functionality you have to figure out where to commit
> them, etc etc.  And the branching strategy is something of a mess, and
> on and on.  The size is less of a big deal than I think I thought it
> would be, and furthermore, with the IPython notebooks and recipes
> we're checking in way fewer static images than we were a few years
> ago.
>
> I'd like to propose that *in the 3.0 branch*, we move the docs back
> into the repository and start evaluating PRs there rather than in the
> separate yt-doc repository.  For modifications to the 2.x docs, we can
> continue with our current strategy, but for 3.0, I think we would
> benefit from tying the two a lot closer.  Plus, we probably want to
> encourage easier modification of the docs by people who check out the
> repo.  We're somewhat on our own for having a separate repo for docs.
>
> [+-][01] on this?
>
> If we get a reasonable quorum, and nobody really objects too strongly,
> I'll bring all the files in sometime in the next few days.

John Wise
Assistant Professor of Physics
Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, Georgia Tech
http://cosmo.gatech.edu