[yt-dev] Move docs back into repo?

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 11:57:09 PST 2014

I'm generally in favor of this, as it will lower the barrier to writing
documentation, but I have a few questions.

1) Dependencies.  Right now, there is a non-trivial amount of work required
to build the docs in full (or even in part).  It isn't a matter of just
going into docs and typing `make html` with a vanilla yt installation.  If
you want to build all of the notebooks, you need extra libraries, some of
them taking a decent amount of time to install.  Pandocs installation is
somewhat tricky (homebrew it isn't bad, but with macports, it is very
problematic), and I recall a lot of extra steps.  Anyway, if we're going to
package the docs with code, should we include all of the docs dependencies
in the yt installer?  Or just leave it to individuals to do this on their
own?

2) By my count, yt-docs (unbuilt) takes 41MB of space, with yt-hg taking
113MB of space, so I think this is not going to break the bank to move the
docs into the yt repo, as long as we continue to do mostly dynamically
generated images/movies/content.  If we start tracking lots of media files,
it could bulk pretty fast.

3) What happens to the history of the docs in mercurial if we move them
into the yt source repo?  Does it start everything at ground zero?  Or do
we retain the history of commits from the yt-doc repo?

Cameron

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Brian O'Shea <bwoshea at gmail.com> wrote:

>  > +1.  I really like having the docs and the source in the same
>> repository,
>> > for the reasons that you've listed.  Also, when I put yt on a new
>> machine it
>> > makes it impossible for me to forget to also get the docs...  :-)
>>
>> They do currently get checked out into
>> $YT_DEST/src/yt-supplemental/yt-doc , but we can get rid of that if we
>> move them back in.
>>

> *facepalm*
>
> Thanks!

Cameron Hummels