[yt-dev] Move docs back into repo?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:29:04 PST 2014

Hi all,

A couple years ago we moved the docs into their own repository.  This
was for two reasons:

 1) We wanted to include more images, which bloated the repository size
 2) There was a lot of churn at the time in the docs

But, the docs are falling behind with 3.0.  And, more to the point,
the fact that they live separate from the main repo means that the PRs
are evaluated separately, they are updated separately, and if you want
to write docs for functionality you have to figure out where to commit
them, etc etc.  And the branching strategy is something of a mess, and
on and on.  The size is less of a big deal than I think I thought it
would be, and furthermore, with the IPython notebooks and recipes
we're checking in way fewer static images than we were a few years
ago.

I'd like to propose that *in the 3.0 branch*, we move the docs back
into the repository and start evaluating PRs there rather than in the
separate yt-doc repository.  For modifications to the 2.x docs, we can
continue with our current strategy, but for 3.0, I think we would
benefit from tying the two a lot closer.  Plus, we probably want to
encourage easier modification of the docs by people who check out the
repo.  We're somewhat on our own for having a separate repo for docs.

[+-][01] on this?

If we get a reasonable quorum, and nobody really objects too strongly,
I'll bring all the files in sometime in the next few days.