[yt-dev] Reason, PlotCollection and yt-3.0

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 19:33:24 PST 2014

On Feb 9, 2014 10:24 PM, "Nathan Goldbaum" <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to raise the possibility of removing the PlotCollection and
> Reason code from yt before the 3.0 release.
>
> I haven't checked recently but given the changes in yt since they were
> last updated, both features likely do not work correctly right now.
> Given the move to notebooks* and PlotWindow-style plotting going
> forward, I think now is the time to rip off the bandage and remove the
> code.
>
> It's likely some of the gui code can be repurposed for a widget, but
> that doesn't mean reason as it is right now needs to be bundled with
> the release or exist in the dev repo.

I'm -1 on removing reason wholesale, but -0.5 on removing the command and
some mentions of it. Having recently spent some time trying to work with
IPython internals, I think there is some utility in an extremely simple
system (simpler than reason is) that is application focused rather than
notebook widget focused, even if not globally applicable. Plus the Reason
system is pretty convenient for those situations where fork() is not
implemented.

I am -0 on removing plot collection, but could be convinced if enough
people were in favor.