[yt-dev] Enzo derived particle fields in 3.0

John Wise jwise at physics.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 12 12:04:38 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

I've run into the problem where yt-3.0 cannot generate deposited fields
in Enzo datasets.  For example, when I'm trying to access either
'dm_density', ['deposit', 'all_density'], or ['cic_particle_velocity_x']
in a single grid with the following lines

pf = load(sys.argv[-1])
g = pf.h.grids[0]
dm = g['dm_density']

It crashes with the following error,

yt.utilities.exceptions.YTCouldNotGenerateField: Could field '('all',
'particle_position_x')' in output_0000 could not be generated.

even though it's in the dataset, and executing g['all',
'particle_position_x'] gives no errors.  It looks like
_generate_particle_field() is returning None, and I have no idea why
since I'm not very familiar with the new field objects in 3.0.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
John

--