[yt-dev] Issue #778: Progressbar can be a bit heavy in the notebook (yt_analysis/yt)

Matthew Turk issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Sun Feb 9 06:09:05 PST 2014

New issue 778: Progressbar can be a bit heavy in the notebook
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/778/progressbar-can-be-a-bit-heavy-in-the

Matthew Turk:

I think the progressbar, particularly for lightweight operations, can be a bit heavy in the notebook.  Additionally, because of how widgets work, it can leave a *lot* of data in the notebook itself once it has concluded.  To see this in action, the time series calculations in the bootcamp are a good example.

In the past, we've put a minimum threshold on the number of items (`maxval`) that are required before a pbar gets created.  We may want to revisit this now, or possibly even just eliminate the progress bar from the hierarchy parsing step for grid geometries like Enzo.