[yt-dev] Issue #776: Getting things into units is not easy (yt_analysis/yt)

Matthew Turk issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Fri Feb 7 08:27:54 PST 2014

New issue 776: Getting things into units is not easy
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/776/getting-things-into-units-is-not-easy

Matthew Turk:

We should have an easier way to get things into units.

This currently fails (which is an actual bug):

```
#!python
UnitFulObject - 1.0 * UnitFulObject.units
```

But in general, we need an easier way to manage times where the units are tricky, or nasty, or whatever.  It would be nice to have something *like* dimensionless that is a "passthrough unit."  Like an "any_unit."  So I should be able to do:

```
#!python
UnitFulObject - 1.0 * any_unit
```

and the system will see any_unit, convert to the units of the `other_array` and then pass through.  This would get around some of the issues that we run into in many instances.

Responsible: ngoldbaum