[yt-dev] ProfileND: soliciting opinions

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 15:05:30 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2014 5:45 PM, "Nathan Goldbaum" <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> While we're talking about profiles, it would be nice if I could
>> specify the bin limits in the create_profile function - right now they
>> are hard coded to come from the Extrema derived quantity.  This would
>> make it a bit more straightforward to make a ProfilePlot or PhasePlot
>> with custom axes limits.
>>

> I think the idea of create profiles was to stay super minimalist, and
> encourage using the actual objects for more complex operations. I'm not sure
> I want to bolt more arguments on rather than making ProfileND easier.

Agreed, to a point.  The issue is that it's not straightforward to
create a custom PhasePlot or ProfilePlot.  The docstrings mention
being able to construct a custom profile with create_profile, but
create_profile doesn't really offer much customization.

ProfileND offers plenty of customization, but there are no docstrings
in ProfileND or any subclasses so it's not exactly a user-friendly
operation right now.  ProfileND is also not in the yt.mods namespace.

Adding docstrings to ProfileND and adding it to yt.mods would satisfy
my concerns, I think.

> Specifying bin edges manually could be neat, though, especially for
> non-uniform bins...
>
>> It would also be nice if ProfileND returned YTArrays, that's something
>> I was planning to add soonish, but if you guys handle it that would be
>> great.
>
> Optimistically, no more than 36 hours for that. :) I also hope to have a
> wrapper for a array_like_field type thing too, to make it easier to copy and
> duplicate units. Thoughts on that?

Not totally sure what you mean, can you expand with a little bit more detail?