[yt-dev] YT field detection

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 05:09:16 PDT 2014

Hi Doug,

Thanks for going through and looking into this.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Douglas Harvey Rudd <drudd at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a set of fixes for Issue #887 (field detection). Most apply without breaking any tests, but to address all of the problems in that issue I need to add a check to YTDataContainer._determine_fields that doesn't allow a field to be added if it doesn't exist in field_list or derived_field_list.

That sounds good to me.

> This fixes my bug, but breaks a test based on code in yt/visualization/volume_rendering/camera.py which adds a field "temp_weightfield" (not a tuple!).

Whoops, that should be a tuple!  :)  Does it use ds.add_field?  That
should ensure it gets added to the derived_field_list.

> When this field is passed to _determine_fields, _get_field_info first guesses at ("gas","temp_weightfield"), but since that doesn't exist in field_info, it replaces it with ("index","temp_weightfield"), which I don't see as being any better.

I would slightly prefer "index" over "gas" just because "index"
indicates it's an internal field.

> There are several places where the syntax _get_field_info(*field) is used, which will break when field is a string, not a tuple.  Should I fix camera.py to use an explicit fluid type?  If so, what?  I've tried to use the fluid type of the input field, but that apparently is also not always a tuple.

I think fixing camera.py is good, and I would go with "index".