[yt-dev] How to install yt 2.6 in a computer without internet?

David Collins dcollins4096 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 07:12:45 PDT 2014

I had to do this a couple of years ago.  Here's what I did.  Things have
changed since then and I don't remember everything exactly, so this won't
serve as a complete guide.

First, I installed it on a local machine.  This lets yt grab all the zips
of all the dependent packages, hashes, and the clone of the repo.  This is
the stuff that you actually need the internet for.  (In my case the local
machine was a mac)

Put all those on a thumb drive, move it to the machine you want.  You
should move ONLY the contents of the src directory, and make sure that the
install script is running from that directory.  (In my case the remote
machine was a linux cluster.)

Run the install script on the new machine.  Since you have all the
dependent zips and the yt repository, the install script is smart enough to
see that and not try to fetch anything off the internet.

The one last step that you'll need to re-invent, because I don't remember
what I did; I needed to convince distutils that it didn't need to see the
internet once I was on the new machine.  For reasons In don't quite
remember, one of the steps in building several of the pieces choked because
it couldn't see the internet, even though it wasn't actually necessary.

I hope that's somewhat helpful.

d.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 5:09 AM, Reju Sam John <rejusamjohn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> How to install yt 2.6 in a computer without internet?
>
> --
> Reju Sam John

-- Sent from a computer.