[yt-dev] Particle-Only Plots

Andrew Myers atmyers2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 23:26:44 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

A while back, Jeremy Ritter asked the yt-users list if yt could produce a
particle plot like that obtained through annotate_particles(), but without
use matplotlib directly. Personally, this is a visualization task that I do
all the time, and I think it would be useful to make this type of plot a
one-liner in yt - provided it handles units and labels and such
automatically like any other yt plot.

I've added this feature in my fork of yt. The interface is the same as for
any other yt plots, and the standard plot modification mechanisms should
work. Examples are here
<http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/atmyers/f8616c9ed5a9d2b027e8> and here
<http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/atmyers/8d979d990268f48c9688>.

If there is interest in having this in mainline yt I'll write some docs and
issue a pull request.

-Andrew