[yt-dev] let's talk about Governance

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 12:50:20 PDT 2014

I'm very in favor of putting some official procedures into a YTEP.  Having
a codified process may also help with conflict resolution as well.

Apache does something with their projects where developers who make
sustained contribution are made "members" after nomination by another
member and are given write access to the main repo.  It's a small thing,
but if we perhaps have an official definition of "yt member" in a YTEP with
a posted list of members, it can be something people can point to as a way
of demonstrating that they've done significant work on the project.

I think it might also be good to have officer-like positions where people
are representatives for various areas of the code, such as data structures,
visualization, analysis_modules, etc. and to have semi-regular meeting of
these people.  This may be as much leadership as we need for now, just a
group that meets on a schedule to make sure everyone's on the same page
with releases and major development efforts.

What do people think of something like this?