[yt-dev] yt and Debian/Ubuntu

Ole Streicher debian-devel at liska.ath.cx
Tue Aug 5 01:38:03 PDT 2014

Dear Matthew and Nathan,
(Cc: to the yt list, however we should switch to debian-astro then)

thank you for your interest in packaging yt! Maybe you could organize
yourself in who does what for the packaging?

Here are some links on how to start: See

https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging

for a first tutorial. For a deeper look, there is a "Debian New Maintainers' Guide" that covers most of the packaging questions, also the non-technical ones:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

What also helps a lot if you started and have a question, is the "debian-mentors" mailing list

https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

which is really made for beginners, so don't hesitate to ask any question there.
This list is really friendly, and there are a lot of experienced people around to help you with any problem. For astronomy related packages, you may ofcourse also ask on the debian-astro list (see my last mail), and you can also ask me directly (although it would be better to use the mailing lists, since you may get better answers there for specific questions than from myself).

It would also be helpful to create an account on http://alioth.debian.org and to join the debian-astro project there. This allows to keep the packaging VCS repository there, so that we can do a collaborative maintenance of the package.

Since yt is python, I would also recommend the Python LibraryStyleGuide

https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide

Because the package is mainly standard, there should be not many
adjustments needed. Also, check the Debian Python policy

https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

There is also an (partly outdated) general python packaging guide at

https://wiki.debian.org/Python/Packaging

Generally, I would recommend to subscribe to the Debian-python mailing list

https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/

They are really helpful with python related packaging questions.

As Tomasz already wrote: This looks quite much for the moment, however we will guide you through the problems, and just ask (me personally, or one of the lists) if you feel unsure.

Best regards

Ole