[yt-dev] yt and Debian/Ubuntu

Ole Streicher debian-devel at liska.ath.cx
Mon Aug 4 11:50:37 PDT 2014

Dear yt developers,

> From: Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM
> Subject: [yt-users] ANN: yt-3.0 released!
>
> The yt community is proud to announce the release of yt 3.0.

I write you on the behalf of the Debian Astronomy working group. We are
trying to package and maintain astronomy related software for the
Debian/GNU operating system.

After getting your yt-3.0 announcement, I found your web site [1], and I
think that this projects would be worth to be packaged for Debian.
Would you like to join our efforts by packaging your software? We can
offer any help in case you run into difficulties or have questions. You
can contact me directly, and/or (preferably) subscribe to our mailing
list [2].

I found an older question on yt-users [3] about a possible Ubuntu ppa --
since Ubuntu (and other distributions, like Mint) takes most of the
packages directly from Debian, it would automatically be there as well.
And since (as mentioned in an answer to [2]) the installation procedure
is clean, the packaging would be quite easy, but with some advantages
for the user (like automated upgrades).

Best regards

Ole

[1] http://yt-project.org/