[yt-dev] single-precision instead of double precision

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:10:05 PDT 2014

Hi Mike,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Michael Zingale
<michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu> wrote:
> Are there any plans to natively support single-precision datasets?
> (sometimes we store 32-bit instead of 64-bit to save space).  If I access my
> data and then create a covering grid, in the YTCoveringGridBase code, when
> it makes the grid for the data, it hardcodes in "float64" -- ideally it
> would keep the precision of the dataset all the way through.

Yes, there are, with the exception of accumulators like sum, etc.  We
also won't guarantee that unit conversions will not over/underflow,
but that should be okay for your situation.  Today I started on the
process of doing particles in native bits, and fluids will come a
while after that.  Mostly it's a problem of getting the Cython
routines to use "fused types."

-Matt