[yt-dev] covering_grid and BCs

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 09:17:46 PDT 2014

Hi Mike,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Michael Zingale
<michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu> wrote:
> If I create a covering_grid for a full domain that is not triply-periodic,
> the code will abort when I try to access the data in the covering grid with
> an error generated by selection_routines.pyx that is looking to make sure
> that the boundary conditions are supported.  I understand that this support
> is not yet in place, but I don't think that it should be an issue for a
> covering_grid.

I agree, it should not.  Can you tell me how you're generating the
covering grid?  If it is set with the origin at domain_left_edge and
dimensions equal to the dimensions of the domain (at whatever
refinement level you've specified) this should not error.

> The covering grid procedure itself should not ever need boundary conditions,
> if I understand what it intends to do.  If you are just sampling the coarse
> data (or averaging the overlying fine data) into your zone, there is no need
> to do any interpolation that would require BCs.  For the
> SmoothedCoveringGrid stuff, I understand that BCs should come into play.  Am
> I missing something? or should this check on the BCs be considered a bug in
> this case?

This sounds like a bug to me!